Property Size: 3068sqm; House size: 412 sqm; 5 beds; 3 baths; double garage; 3 entertainment areas; 4 cellars (1 wine cellar); 2 decks/balconies; large boma; 4 gardens; borehole; computerised watering; solar heating; single level living; paved courtyard (north-facing) with pool (solar-heated) and outdoor spa; excellent security features; loads of guest parking; privacy; mountain, sea and valley views; single level living.
- Every room has mountain
- The front rooms have mountain, valley, dunes and sea views: from the dunes and Hangberg, across the sea to Kommetjie Lighthouse, Chapman’s Peak, to Constantia Nek.
- The large top viewing balcony has 360° views of valley, mountains, dunes and sea, superb for sundowners (this is where our guests often toast in the New Year watching fireworks across Hout Bay).
Entertainment Areas: (Three)
Entertainment Area (1):
- Open-plan informal lounge, dining area (often have seated 20+ people for dinner in this dining area) next to open-plan kitchen and leading onto large indoor games/pool/dance room.
- Anthracite heater to heat this area throughout winter (also serves to heat the laundry). This heater also serves as a “Hostess”-style warmer to keep food warm during large dinner parties.
- There is a restaurant-quality electric indoor braai in the Games Room.
- Whole area opens onto large private enclosed, paved courtyard with mountain views.
- Heated pool
- Outdoor spa (totally protected and private)
- Sunny, north-facing.
- Grape-bearing vine; lemon tree.
- Perfumed plants: honeysuckle, rosemary, peppermint, rose geranium and lemon geranium.
- Private and protected by high walls yet has magnificent mountain views. Well lit for evening entertainment.
- Double wooden doors with brass fittings lead from loads of guest parking into courtyard, allowing the pool fence to be removed so entrance to the courtyard is entering the complete entertainment area. We sometimes do this, putting comfortable sofas around the pool and dancing in the games room for summer parties.
Entertainment Area (2):
- Garden Boma: the large boma in the front garden allows for braaing, seated dinner or cocktail parties for large groups. There is lighting and electrical supply for music. It is protected by well-positioned hedges to provide privacy and protection from wind.
Entertainment Area: (3):
- Formal lounge area. With “Happy Doors” which close it off from the rest of the house when wanted. This lounge has magnificent panoramic views from Constantia Nek to Chapman’s Peak and across the sea to Kommetjie Lighthouse. Leads onto a wooden deck and onto the front garden. There is a cosy fire-side area with closed wood/coal burner set in attractive slate-tiled inglenook-style fireplace. Linked by a bar to the front part of the lounge. Both areas lead into a TV area, so that sport can be watched by people at the bar or in the front lounge or sitting cosily directly in front of the TV. This formal lounge also has a small, wrought iron spiral staircase leading to the large, tiled upstairs viewing balcony.
Living Areas (5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, kitchen, laundry):
- Kitchen: Large, tons of cupboard space, fitted gas hob, double sink, fitted double oven (electric). Wide shelf opening to family/entertainment area. Doorway to laundry room.
- Laundry: Large, fits dishwasher, tumble dryer, washing machine, large chest freezer, cleaning-supply cupboard and has washing lines inside. Plumbed for hot and cold water. There is enough space to do ironing in the laundry room. The chimney from the anthracite heater heats the room to help dry clothing in winter. The back door leads from the laundry to a tiled area outside and more wash-lines. The gas for the hob is stored outside here.
- Main Bedroom Suite: Comprises a large double bedroom, with an adjoining room which can be used as a private lounge, or huge dressing room, and a bathroom. Large number of built-in cupboards. A door leads onto the main passage from the house but this suite also has direct access to the main front garden and deck. It can therefore be used as a “granny-flat” or “teen pad”. The views from this room are magnificent.
- Second Main Bedroom: A large double room with magnificent valley, mountain and sea views. Built-in cupboards.
- Three large secondary/children’s rooms: These face directly onto the courtyard (north-facing, windows can be changed for French doors to allow direct access to courtyard). Built-in cupboards. Spacious. Mountain views.
- In Main Bedroom suite
- Next to second main bedroom
- Next to games room.
Garage & Driveway:
- Large, double garage. Wooden doors on separate motors and with manual over-ride in case of power failure. Fits two cars plus two motor bikes plus extra storage space. Plans have previously been approved and are available (they have since expired) to convert the garage into a “Granny flat” + double garage in front of it.
- Electronic security gate, well lit by beautiful light on an automatic light-sensitive-switch.
- Elegant long driveway, widened at the top to provide parking for many cars.
- Direct access to pool courtyard and family/informal entertainment area.
- Across the lawn, gives direct access to the Formal Lounge and Main Bedroom Suite.
Established. Different areas for different moods. All under computerised irrigation from a borehole:
- Main front garden: Large lawn area for playing ball games, flower beds with mostly indigenous plants provide colour through most of the year. Leads onto the boma by two paved paths, one with a small feature fishpond next to it. Also leads to a lower, secluded garden. There is direct access from the driveway gates and from a separate pedestrian gate. Cars can drive directly from the drive onto this lawn when extra parking is needed.
- Quiet, secluded garden: This garden leads from the main garden by a paved path. It is quiet and secluded and provides a perfect place to sit and read in peace, quiet and cool on a hot summer’s day. Fruit-bearing mulberry and pear trees grow here. There are lights so that it can be used during evenings when entertaining on the boma (which is directly above it and the only place overlooking it).
- Top Garden: Paved paths lead from the top of the drive and from the kitchen to the top garden. Raised above the house, with a bank of agapanthus. Large lawn area with established trees, wonderful quiet cool place to hang a hammock and relax. Also an excellent place for the kids to camp. A little path takes you down to a fig tree and banana tree and “moat” with cannas and papyrus (this “moat” flows from mountain runoff in winter).
- Laundry garden: Leads from the laundry. Has wide paved area, lawn, flower beds and established trees (one is a fruit-bearing guava tree). Leads to the top garden as well as to the front main garden. Easy access to the pedestrian gate for putting out the garbage bin. Carefully planted hedge protects the wash-lines from view from the pedestrian gate.
- Wine Cellar: Shelving designed to hold wine bottles safely. Security and correct temperature for wine. Concrete floor and ceiling. Normal height room. Light and electric power point. The computer for the irrigation system is here. Leads onto the deck for good access to the Formal Lounge. Also easily accessible from the front garden and boma.
- Garden Cellar: Normal height room. All garden tools and equipment fit here with room to spare. Leads onto Main Garden and easy access to driveway for deliveries.
- Coal Cellar: Lower ceiling. Large cellar for coal and wood storage. Power point for light. Easily accessible from laundry and garden so deliveries are easy and getting the coal/wood to into the house or braai areas is easy.
- General Storage Cellar: Lower ceiling. Easy access to driveway and Main Garden.
- A quiet cul-de-sac with the ADT security guard hut near entrance to the cul-de-sac.
- ADT security guard does walking patrols constantly.
- Beams throughout property.
- One switch to light up entire property.
- Fenced all around and neighbouring houses on all sides except front.
- Main fence (front) has spikes plus electrification.
- Main gate has intercom and electronic opening.
- Automatic light at main entrance providing good visibility of entrance at night.
- Secure-a-Window bars on windows.
- Maxidor slam-lock doors at front and rear entrances
- Maxidor slam-lock door inside the house to protect sleeping area.
- Solar-heated pool
- Solar-heated geyser: 250L Solartherm Direct with Low Element (dual) geyser. 10years guarantee – fitted in April 2014. Geyser is lagged and on a timer-switch for days when electric heating might be necessary (we do not run out of hot water during power outages). It feeds the whole house except the third bathroom which is on an AEG electric direct heater.
- Borehole – recently been completely overhauled, so in tip-top condition.
- Fully computerised watering system linked to the borehole, waters the whole garden except the courtyard.
- Fruit trees: fig, guava, loquat, mulberry, pear, grapes.
- Indoor braai (electric, industrial quality).
- Outdoor spa bath, completely private and protected.
- Slate tiles on all main entertainment floors.
- Carpeted wooden floors on all bedroom areas.
- Oregon Pine floors in the Formal Lounge by the fireside, with slate-tiles in the front area of the formal lounge.
- Wooden deck is made completely of Belau wood: hardwood, durable, needs no maintenance – but we coat it with water-soluble Timbercote to maintain its natural beautiful colour. Beneath the deck is a paved area leading to the wine cellar.
- Outdoor lighting for the entire garden.
- Anthracite heater in informal lounge/dining/entertainment area.
- Formal Lounge has wood/coal burner with opening doors for when you want an open-flamed fire.
- Both heaters have flat tops and can be cooked on (often used during electricity power-outages or just for fun); also serve as “Hostess”-style food-warmers during large dinner parties.
- Easy access to attic and roof-space, which is well insulated.
- House stays cool in summer and warm in winter.
- Wide passages in entertainment areas to improve flow and ambience.
- Elevated front enhances views; yet the house is all one level.
- Main access to the house is at ground level into informal lounge/dining area.
- Satelite TV